Sunday, November 25, 2007

Chicken Adobo: Friend or Foe? (Nov.19-23)

This blog is published weekly on Mondays.

Worlds without end, this is what we expect from soap operas, except of course when there's a writer's strike. What pray tell will I do when this world I have relied upon to unravel the mysteries of life, cometh to an end, albeit temporarily? How will I pick up the pieces of my own life?

Chicken abozzo.
Is it just me, or was Karen just a little too excited about her chicken adobo dish? She mentioned it countless times, with a passion that was bordering on, well, strange. Instead of having her eat with the Winters on Thanksgiving, it would have been far more entertaining to see her eating her chicken adobo, alone, off of a TV tray as she watched old Rockford Files reruns. Now that's something to be thankful for.

Thanksgiven'er.
Some of Genoa City's Finest (GCF) gathered at Lily and Devon's and were forced ONCE AGAIN to eat Genoa City Athletic Club take-out (ordered by Neil after another botched cooking attempt by Lily). Neil shared one of the Winters' traditions where "every year we gather around the table and say what we are grateful for". And thus the guests' responses:

Noah: "I am grateful that the drugs are finally working and that my clinical depression has lifted."
Sharon:" I am grateful that I am looking and acting more and more like a Stepford wife. It is important to shed any kind of personality whatsoever as I find it just gets in the way".
Jack: "I am grateful that my own son lives with my ex-wife, Diane Jenkins, and that I don't have any responsibility towards him at all. I am glad that my present wife Sharon is unaware that I have another son".
Karen: "I am thankful for my only true friend in this world, my chicken adobo".
Neil: "I am grateful that Karen still puts out, even though I have an impulsive tick where I can't stop talking about my dead wife."
Cane: "I am thankful that I am a wealthy Chancellor and that I am eating Thanksgiving dinner in this shitty little kitchen, in a shitty little town called Genoa City, with this shitty food from an overrated Athletic Club".
Lily: "I am thankful that even though I was voted as one of the worst soap opera actors on daytime television, I haven't been booted off the show like my best friend Colleen (number 2) was".
Devon: "I am thankful that I have fewer and fewer lines each episode as it gives me more time for whores and coke on my days off".
Chicken Adobo: "I am grateful for all of the air time I have been given, despite my status as an obscure Filipino dish".

Brad Carlton: Guardian to the Fetus
Sounds like a video game doesn't it? In her attempt to save the fetus, Nicki has appointed Brad its guardian. As a video game, I think this really works. I can totally see it. Brad's video game persona would be shirtless (of course) holding a rocket launcher, holed up in the hospital waiting room, blowing away anyone who comes near the fetus. His characters' downfall would be a scantily clad Sharon and randomly planted mirrors that would serve to distract him with his own image.

Jack calls blog readers and video game players losers.
Easy Senator. You're going to alienate 90% of the voters, not to mention your own video game- addicted stepson, Noah. And thus the damning words:

"So every online loser without a life is going to set aside their video games and ignore their blogs long enough to inundate the ethics committee with ignorant indignation."

Yikes. Them's fightin' words.

Phyllis' breasts.
It was great to see Phyllis' breasts at the hospital this week to offer comfort to Victoria and support for Nicholas. Thanks for coming out, but the team doesn't need you this year...

Nick makes coma small talk.
Is it not strange to be asking someone in a coma how their Thanksgiving holiday is going? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't being in a coma kind of like a holiday in itself? No dishes to do, no dry cleaning to pick up, no plants to water, no chicken adobo to make? The downside being of course, is that you are a captive audience and there is no escape from the incessant bedside chatter of your captors.

Genoa City Prison Blues.
Didn't Johnny Cash once play the Genoa City prison? Such would be the perfect pick-me-up for our despondent Jana, freshly abandoned by her abuser and cell mate, Phyllis. As Johnny Cash is no longer available for prison tours, perhaps Danny Romolati could do it? His career is in desperate need of a revival and this could be precisely what he needs.

Questions of the week.
1. Now that Phyllis is an ex-con, will she be able to leave the country?
2. Does it bother Brad that J.T has slept with both his (once) wife and his daughter?
3. Do people in Genoa City ever let their phones go to voice mail, or do they always answer the call, even at the most inopportune times?
4. Does Phyllis actually pay Michael for his hundreds of hours worth of legal fees, or is her "friendship" payment enough?
5. Do Gloria and Kevin seem to be acting less and less like mother son and more like an old married couple?

Wish list of the week.
1. Neil and Karen are out as a couple and Neil and Gina are in. Did you see the kiss (on the lips no less) that Neil planted on Gina when she was able to provide him with take-out turkey? I have a feeling that Gina has more take-out in store for Neil, if you know what I mean.
2. Victoria wakes up soon, before I officially no longer give a shit.

Amber brings it home.
When Daniel invites her to go to the hospital with him for Thanksgiving dinner as an option to her eating alone, she dismisses the idea entirely:

"Oh great, waiting for a comatose pregnant lady to wake-up...give me two helpings of that!"

Couldn' t have said it better myself, Amber.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't knock it...
As someone who has often wondered about the right amount of cleavage to show when going to the hospital to watch my sister-in-law die, I found the epidode both educational and inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Saw your URL on the mediadomain Y & R message board. Did you plant that yourself? Brilliant self-promotion. It got me to read and laugh my ass off so much I had to put my baby down.

I'll be digging in your archives next to see what you're all about.

In the meantime, you might find this interesting:

http://www.bottombarrelinc.com